The Women’s Prize for Playwriting 2023 is now open for submissions!
The Women’s Prize for Playwriting is the very first prize celebrating and championing female and non-binary playwrights in the UK and Ireland.
About the Prize
The Women’s Prize for Playwriting showcases vivid, expansive and exquisitely crafted new plays by female and non-binary writers in the UK and Ireland.
Each year, the Prize seeks out, celebrates and champions the best new work from writers at all levels of experience. We’re interested in plays that rejoice in the depth and range of your imagination, that feast on dramatic possibility and are ambitious on all scales and subjects.
We’ve designed the criteria of the Prize to allow you to write exactly the play you want, unhampered by restrictions or limitations. Whoever you are, and however much or little you’ve written in the past, the Women’s Prize for Playwriting team wants to read your work. Good luck!
The deadline is 5pm on Monday 17th April.
As part of the submission process, you’ll be asked to:
- tell us about you and your play
- confirm that your submission meets our eligibility criteria
- fill out an Equal Opportunities form, describing your professional and personal background.
Please note that submissions should not be anonymous. You may use a pseudonym if you wish – we just need a valid email address so that we can contact you.
As in previous years, you have the option to include a supporting statement, giving us additional context about your play.
It’s not compulsory, but can help our reading team and judges make more informed decisions about your submission – particularly in later rounds.
Some areas to touch on might include:
- why you wrote the play, or your intentions for it
- where it is in its development, or anything you’d want to work on if you were to develop it further.
This doesn’t have to be an essay – bullet points are fine – and if you’d prefer to submit a voice recording or video instead, you can.
It should be a maximum of 500 words if written, or 3mins if recorded.
The Women’s Prize for Playwriting is open to writers who are:
- female or non-binary
- aged sixteen or older
- resident in the UK, Republic of Ireland or in a British Overseas Territory, or have a British Forces Post Office address.
Submitted scripts must:
- be written in English
- be written for stage
- be an original work (i.e. not an adaptation)
- last an hour or more in playing time
- not have been professionally produced (i.e. no more than five ticketed performances, and no professional reviews)
- not have received any other prizes or awards.
Submitted scripts may be:
- any cast size
- any genre and style, except musicals (though plays which contain songs are eligible)
- own all copyright relating to the script
- submit only one script
- include their name(s) and contact details on the first page of the script.
Submit your script
Submissions for the Women’s Prize for Playwriting 2023 are via a GoogleForm. Please select your preferred option below to begin your application.
If you have a Google account, you can upload the script directly from your Drive.
If you don’t have a Google account, select the option below. Here you will have the option either to provide a link for us to download the script from another website (e.g. Dropbox), or to email us the play.More Info