CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Transatlantic Tales 2021
AboutFACE Theatre is inviting submissions from emerging Irish women playwrights for Transatlantic Tales 2021.
AboutFACE created Transatlantic Tales in 2020, where we assigned eight playwrights each with two actors, one in Ireland and one in the US, and commissioned them to write a 3-minute play set over a Zoom call between America and Ireland. The show combining these short plays had its Live Premiere online with The Civic in June 2020, and was later invited to the Origin 1st Irish Festival in New York, where it won The Spirit of the Festival award.
“An inspired idea” – Irish Independent
Last year, the eight international playwrights had each been previously featured at our NEWvember Festival. For our 2021 edition, we are looking for eight emerging Irish women playwrights.
To apply, simply fill in the form at aboutfacetheatre.ie/transatlantic-tales-2021
– and submit a playwriting sample (a scene between 2-10 pages, featuring 2 or more characters) as a pdf, by the deadline of April 18th.
Eight writers will be chosen by our panel, based on their sample’s development of characters, emotional resonance and narrative drive, and invited to take part in this year’s project. We value the time and talent of all the artists we work with and pay them for taking part in our projects, with the amount based on the level of funding and income we receive for each. For this project, each artist will receive a minimum fee of €150.
- Call for Submissions window closes Sunday April 18th 2021 at midnight Irish time.
- Submissions read and offers made to writers – late April
- Live online drafting of actors and writers combinations – May 1st
- Writing time – May 1st to deadline on May 14th with consultation from our dramaturg Krystal Sweedman (first draft due by May 8th)
- Rehearsals – late May
- Live performances – June online
For this submission process —
- Irish = born and/or based in Ireland
- emerging = a writer who has not yet had one of their plays produced by an Arts Council strategically funded organisation.
- writer must be 18 years or older