ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Marketing and Communications Assistant
RESPONSIBLE TO: Press Manager/Marketing Manager
CONTRACT: 12 months fixed term contract
For 115 years, the Abbey Theatre has played a significant role in reflecting Ireland’s evolving cultural, political and social identity. It has done so through the creation and staging of an important literary repertoire which has helped Irish people to understand and communicate what it means to be Irish. This role continues, as the nation’s sense of identity continually evolves and our population becomes increasingly multicultural. In this more globalised world, it is vital that the Abbey Theatre continues to stand proudly amongst our peers as a world-class national theatre, touring our work internationally and attracting great artists to work in Ireland.
The Abbey Theatre’s mission is to effectively and imaginatively engage with all of Irish society through the production of ambitious and courageous theatre, in all its forms. Ireland’s National Theatre is artist-led and audience-focused. We aim to ensure our programmes are driven by ambitious, big ideas by theatre-makers of all disciplines, relevant to our times, and communicated effectively to all our citizens and stakeholders.
Our vision is to build a 21st century theatre and company, where creativity drives our every move, developing the artists and audiences of the future. We will be a confident collaborative company, leading the way in how Irish theatre is developed, produced and disseminated; and where everyone who works with us, irrespective of their role, knows that they are contributing to the work of one of the world’s great theatres.
Planning is in train for the re-building of the Abbey Theatre in line with the Project Ireland 2040 plan announced by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media/
The Abbey Theatre is the National Theatre of Ireland. It occupies a unique position in the hearts and minds of Irish people. Comprised of two auditoriums, the Abbey Stage with a capacity of 492 seats, and the Peacock Theatre, with a capacity of 132 seats, the company produces a year-round programme of productions, public readings, talks, workshops and artistic development work.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Abbey Theatre is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to join our team as Marketing and Communications Assistant. This is a full time fixed term contract of 1 year within the Marketing and Communications department. The assistant role will support all the functioning areas of the Marketing and Communications department with regards to administration, reporting, analysis, data and audience development.
The Marketing and Communications Assistant is a key administrative support role, in a team that promotes the Abbey Theatre, and its activities, across a wide array of platforms and engages with a diverse range of stakeholders. The Marketing and Communications Department work closely with colleagues in all other departments to deliver an audience for the theatre’s programme and activities.
Reporting to the Press Manager/Marketing Manager, the Assistant will primarily support in the administration and reporting of the department. They will also support the Marketing and Communications Officers on press, digital and marketing campaigns. This will be a great opportunity to learn and expand their skills in marketing PR, social media, content creation and other communications approaches.
This is an exciting time at the Abbey Theatre and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on national campaigns with leading Irish and international artists. The right candidate will be enthusiastic, organised and efficient, with excellent attention to detail and a passion for culture.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Marketing and Communications
- Supporting the Marketing and Communications Officers on elements of creative campaigns for productions including:
- Social media
- Creating campaign power-points and decks
- Media monitoring and circulation of weekly media coverage
- Collating media reports for shows and campaigns and relevant reports to support the evaluation and monitoring of the Department
- Assisting with photo shoots, filming, media interviews, media launches
- Maintaining the Abbey Theatre’s media database
- Coordinating media invitations/RSVPs and media tickets
- Assisting in the administration of the Marketing and Communications department (invoicing, correspondence, phone calls, reporting)
- Planning and scheduling meetings for the managers and team
- Assisting with internal communications projects
- Liaising with key Abbey departments to ensure the smooth running of all Marketing and Communications activities
- Conduct information gathering and provide research briefs for the Department
- Managing lists through our CRM system
- Website updates and maintenance
- Content management – folder systems and archiving
- Collation of production information for marketing materials
- Act as support to the Press Manager, Marketing Manager and the wider Marketing and Communications team and undertake any other tasks as may be deemed reasonable and appropriate.
- Contribute to the reaching of ambitious sales, attendance and viewership targets on an annual basis
- Represent the Marketing and Communications team and the organisation at relevant external and internal meetings and events, including Opening Nights and launches
- Work with other Abbey Theatre Departments to fulfil their communications needs and targets.
- Adhere to the theatre’s Health and Safety policy and to current legislation.
- A qualification in arts, PR, communications, marketing, tourism or digital media, or 1 year of relevant experience in administration or relevant cultural background
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisation skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency across email and Microsoft Office suite
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends
- The ability to think creatively, and visually
- Must have a love and curiosity around arts, culture and storytelling
- Written and spoken Irish is an advantage but not a requirement
Marketing and Communication Team
Sales and Customer Service
Community and Education
Data base manager
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Posts: Full time 12 months fixed term contract.
Hourly rate of pay: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Probationary period: 6 months.
Holidays: 24 days per annum (including Good Friday and Christmas Eve) pro rata.
Public Holidays: 9 Public holidays per annum pro rata.
Pension: The Abbey Theatre provides employees with access to a pension scheme and will match contributions up to 5.5% of salary. Employees must contribute a minimum of 3% to avail of employer contributions. Contributions are made through payroll.
Life Assurance: The Abbey Theatre Group Life Assurance plan provides a benefit to all employees of 4 times annual salary in the event of death while in service.
Bike to work/ Bus Eireann/Luas/ Dart Tax Saver
Employee Assistance Programme: This is a free, confidential service, which is available to employees at any time, providing immediate access to fully qualified, accredited counsellors and information specialists.
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
The closing date for applications is 5 pm on Thursday, 24th June 2021.
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer