For over 165 years, Cork Opera House has been part of the cultural fabric of Cork city. As one of Ireland’s leading and unique performing arts venues, it presents 270-300 shows per year and attracts over 200,000 patrons with a busy programme of both visiting performances and in-house productions. Cork Opera House is looking for a suitable candidate to join its Technical Department as Head of Lighting.
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Sound is a senior member of the Technical crew. They will work within the Technical Department to assist with all and any activities concerning stage lighting and electrics in the Cork Opera House, touring Cork Opera House productions and incoming productions. The role is to assist the Chief LX in the day to day running of the department.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- To deputise for the Chief LX in their absence. This may include administration work and attending production or other relevant meetings.
- Responsible for the audio quality of live performances.
- To set up and operate sound equipment for concerts, musical theatre productions, and other live entertainment events.
- To facilitate the sound requirements of incoming productions.
- The fit-up, run and get-down of shows in Cork Opera House performance areas
- Ability to carry out work at heights before, during and after performances, and /or during rigging calls load-ins or load-outs.
- To operate shows on an on-going basis.
- The upkeep and maintenance of all technical areas of operation in Cork Opera House directed by the Chief LX and Technical Manager.
- Maintenance, upkeep and service of the sound equipment in Cork Opera House
- To ensure that all related activities by members of incoming companies are conducted in a safe manner.
- To supervise the sound crew, ensuring proper Health and Safety protocol is being adhered to at all times, and their duties are being carried out in a timely and efficient way.
- Assisting other departments when requested to do so.
- Touring and outside venue crewing of Cork Opera House productions.
- Disposal of all waste produced by the technical department.
- Maintaining records, handling deliveries, organising and up keep of stock.
- To attend departmental meetings, staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Pre-show checks of all electrical equipment throughout the technical areas and post-show shut down checks.
- Proper care and storage of all work tools.
- Attend training as required.
- Minimum 39 hours per week. Due to the nature of the position and the demands of the theatre’s production schedule a significant degree of flexibility is required in relation to working hours. Weekend and evening work is integral part of the position.
- To undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this job. This list of responsibilities above is not exhaustive and the employee will need to perform duties outside of this as operationally required and at the discretion of their line manager.
- The Company reserves the right to alter the content of this job description to reflect changes to the job or services provided, without altering the general character or level of responsibility.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills Required
- A good knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and procedures in the theatre environment.
- Theatrical rigging, working at height and working with sound and other departments in a receiving venue.
- Working knowledge of current industry sound consoles and sound equipment and rigging.
- Experience in electrical and PA maintenance.
- A good knowledge of current concert, musical theatre sound production techniques.
- Experience working with a variety of genres and artists.
Person Specification/Behavioural Competencies Required
- Strong effective communicator with good verbal and written skills
- Highly developed, demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of a large team of diverse employees.
- To have a positive and supportive attitude to finding solutions to problems effectively.
- To work in a co-operative manner with all staff within and outside of the company.
- Experience of I.T. systems including e-mail, Word and Excel.
- Friendly, tactful and discreet. Able to establish and develop relationships when dealing with colleagues and customers.
- A self-starter who is able to work with minimum supervision.
- A flexible attitude to work.
Please email a CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Application for Head of Sound’ by Monday December 19th 2022 at 5pm.