Presented by Theatre Forum in partnership with Dublin Theatre Festival, the Next Stage is the artist development strand of Dublin Theatre Festival. Over the 18 days of the festival, participants are immersed in the programme and given access to an array of leading artists in a packed schedule of talks, interviews, group time and workshops. The Next Stage has been lauded by alumni as “a rare amount of inspiration” and “career changing”.
Past speakers and workshop leaders include Tim Crouch, Garry Hynes, Michael Keegan Dolan, Ruth Little, Mikel Murfi, Thomas Ostermeier, Vivi Tellas and Enda Walsh. The Next Stage also creates valuable opportunities for enriching engagement with other participants, with past programmes sparking successful artistic collaborations.
Incorporating the feedback of previous Next Stage participants, we will offer more flexibility in the schedule in this year’s edition, along with a contribution to the expenses of those participating.
- The 2022 Next Stage programme will start on Thursday 29th September and run to Saturday 15th October.
- Programme participants are expected to attend all sessions as well as performances most evenings. Sundays will be free.
- Participation in the Next Stage is by application only. Please fill in the online form here.
- Applications close at 5pm Wednesday 17th August.
- Places will be offered to successful applicants by Friday 26th August.
- A contribution of €400 will be offered to each participant towards expenses incurred while participating.
- If you are based outside of Dublin, you can apply for an additional support of €500 towards accommodation/travel expenses. There are a limited number of these available, and they will be awarded on a discretionary basis. Applicants may still be offered a place on the Next Stage regardless of where they live, but due to finite resources, may not be offered this additional support.
- If you have any questions, please email Katie on email@example.com.
Programme of Activities
The programme of activities of The Next Stage includes:
- Seeing over 20 shows in the Festival (ticket value of approx. €500)
- Attending Talking Theatre events
- Participation in daytime workshops
- Attending public interviews
- Question and answer sessions
- Talks with guest speakers
Applications are invited from anyone working professionally in theatre and the performing arts. Theatre artists and makers at an early career stage as well as more established and experienced professionals are invited to apply. It’s important that each group is a diverse one for participants to get the most of the programme. Note a change to the eligibility criteria from previous years which means practitioners who have previously participated in the Next Stage can apply again to do the programme.
Each year, participants are selected by a panel made up of Dublin Theatre Festival and Theatre Forum representatives. The panel reviews all applications received and the following selection criteria are applied:
- Applicant’s artistic ethos and goals
- Applicant’s artistic output to date
- Applicant’s likely role and fit with the group
- The overall group dynamic and its diversity
- The potential for future collaboration within the group
As in previous years, there will be a Dance Ireland bursary and Dublin Fringe Wildcard awarded to two artists.